Friday, March 26, 2010

CREDIT CARD MACHINE + THANK YOU

Had a new phone line installed today. Ran a test and the credit card machine is working so will take care of those that I went ahead and shipped on Tuesday.

Ordered a bunch of books to get people to resubscribe for the upcoming renewal time of The Chess Reports, Semester 9. Hardbounds. Can't give the title yet because I want to see the books, in the "flesh," as it were, before getting everyone excited (it's a nice book probably most of you don't have). Book will be mailed with an order from resubscribers (to keep my postage costs down--the post office increases their prices to COMPETE with Fedex and UPS instead of grabbing THEIR business!).

This premium is for the Platinum edition of The Chess Reports. Just another way of saying "Thank You" for your support in 2009 and continuing in 2010. I'm amazed others don't think of stuff like this but in all honesty I am glad they don't.

I have to get out this afternoon to see my tax accountant so sorry I can't stay... isn't that a miserable job for all of us who aren't as organized as some?

By the way, a book I superbly recommend is Andy Soltis' HOW TO CHOOSE A MOVE. The reason it didn't get much notice by me or others is the book looks, well, like a Batsford book! Which is to say, it doesn't distinguish itself. Soltis has more on this subject than anyone who has written before or since. I have 1 in stock. He is easily one of the best chess writers in the world because he almost always TELLS us something more than a little useful. This book is FULL of great examples and ideas. In fact, when I think back, what has made Soltis successful is the fact that he gives stories and examples taken from other chess magazines, etc. over the years. He must have a tremendous memory and filing system because Andy hates to use computers! The copy on the work shelf has got some really minor "distractions" attached to the front cover (impressions, a couple pin holes going through a few pages). $10. Only one I have. Retail is $21.95.

1 comment:

  1. Soltis is one of my favorite authors. His "Pawn Structure Chess" and "The Art of Defense" are timeless classics, as well as his more recent works which are bound for stardom "Why Lasker Matters" and "Bobby Fischer Rediscovered", which are Batsford titles and therefore get little press. Another pair of favorites is the set he wrote for you publishing house, "Grandmaster Secrets:" both Openings and Endings.

    He has also written several library quality historical works for McFarland publishing that have won awards such as "Soviet Chess 1917-1991" and "The 100 Best Games of the 20th Century, Ranked".

    I have the book you mentioned and will give a read when I finish his other work that I am going through "The Wisest Things Ever Said About Chess", which is a great carry-about book, since it has a great format for drill work: one diagram per page, a reasonable amount of analysis that can be worked out in ones head and a good verbal description of the action.

    ReplyDelete